Since the launch of Google penguin update, Negative SEO is most talked about topic. Due to its threat almost every online marketers has changed their process and strategies for SEO. Here, the blog post will focus on what NEGATIVE SEO is and how to protect your website from its attack.
What is Negative SEO?
Negative SEO is a strategic process which effects or damages the website reputation. It is generally done to harm your competitors website’s ranking or traffic. Every strategy is applied in the opposite direction of White Hat SEO. It can also be termed as Black Hat SEO.
“Negative SEO is ”Search Engine Optimization” which is done to ruin the website.”
How to protect your website from Negative SEO?
If you don’t want your website to get attacked by hackers or competitors with Negative SEO, than you need to be pro-active. Protect your website before in hand as well as keep track of negative aspects that are likely to affect your website.
Here are some tips:
- Protect your efficient back-links by keeping a regular track on them.
- Use your domain email ID to submit the back-links rather than using Yahoo, Google, etc email address.
- Setup email alerts using Google Webmaster Tools. If you are attacked by malware or any related problem, Google will immediate intimate you with the threat. This way you can keep a track.
- Security is most important. Secure your website from malware and hackers. Keep website backups, use an effective password, etc.
- Keep a track on content duplication. Verify your website content online through Copyscape.com etc.
- You should also keep in mind to properly work on your own SEO Strategies. Do not use Black Hat Strategies which can get penalty to you.
- Focus on your website speed. Immediate attention should be given if all of a sudden website get slow or your server becomes down.
How to recover from Negative SEO attack?
Still in case your website is attacked with Negative SEO, there are 2 things you can do:
- Identify the back-links and remove them manually.
- Google has released the Disavow Tool to help deal with problem. The tool usually takes 3-4 weeks to work.
Here’s what Matt Cutts, head of the Google Webspam team, has to say about Negative SEO and Disavow Links Tool:
Precaution is better than cure. So keep your website security tight. The above mentioned tips will help you notice any changes to your website fast and you can address them soon before they do any bad effect to your reputation. Safeguard your website from Negative SEO.