Meta tags are invisible HTML tags of an HTML document. These tags are not functional in HTML document and are only used to provide useful information to the browser or search engine. A description Meta Tag will be written as:
<meta name= “description” content= “What are Meta Tags.”/ >
Meta tags are always included in ‘head tag’ along with ‘title tag’. It requires the name and content attributes for a web page to come together perfectly. Meta tag is generally used to describe the website in the search engine results. The Meta tag elements which normally used are:
• Description Meta Tag
• Keywords Meta Tag
• Robot Meta Tag
• Author Meta Tag
• Application name Meta Tag
• Webmaster’s e-mail Meta Tag
• Revised Meta Tag
• Refresh Meta Tag
Meta tags play an important role in search engine optimization (SEO). This is quite a useful tool to customize web-page listing in the search engine and also helps to improve the ranking of the website/web-page.
Here are some points to be kept in mind while building a HTML document with reference to Meta tags:
• Meta tags are always used in pairs i.e. name and value pair.
• Never repeat words in the keywords or description Meta tags.
• These tags help the web developers to define the web page in their own words. So focus should be
given while writing the tags.
• The Meta description should be 160 characters or less in length but should be as descriptive as
• Do not include your website name or any URL in the tag.
• Never leave your the title tag blank.
• Different web-pages should have their own Meta Tags.
• Meta tag is just one of the sources for search engines optimization(SEO). We should also focus on other
features like title tag, heading tag, etc.